Afghan Mantu, also spelled as Manto, Mantto or Mantoo is among most popular dishes in Afghanistan. This traditional meal is usually prepared on special occasions or various gatherings.
Mantu is actually mixed ground beef (or lamb) dumplings, which you can also buy in markets and busy streets, much like fast food stands. The dish can be served as a main course as well as the side dish.
Afghan Mantu is served with yogurt mixture called chaka and variety of sauces and toppings like mixed vegetable, chickpea, or simply cooked onions. This recipe will include chaka and mixed vegetable sauce instructions.
Preparation time: 35 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 2 cups ground beef or lamb
- 2/3 cup chopped onions
- 3 minced cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Vegetable oil
- 1 package of egg roll or wonton wrappers
- After heating the pan over medium heat, add garlic, ground meat, coriander and some salt. Continue cooking for the next 15-20 minutes. The meat should be half-cooked, not well done. Before removing pan from the heat, add some black pepper.
- Take the meat and mix it together with the cup of raw chopped onions and leave it to cool down to room temperature.
- Prepare egg roll wraps for stuffing by cutting them either to squares or 10 cm diameter circles. Prior placing the meat, you can wet the wraps’ edges with some water, which will help wraps to stick together easily. Once the meat is cool, take approximately one tablespoon of the mixture and place it onto each wrap. To enclose the dumplings, put together each of the opposite ends and press edges slightly.
- Take the steamer and remove the racks. Add water, cover and bring to boil. In the meantime use some grease for the bottom of the steamer racks, to prevent dumplings from sticking. Once you’re done, place the dumplings on top but make sure you leave some space between each dumpling, to avoid sticking them together. When water starts boiling, put the racks with dumplings back to steamer. Cover lid and steam around 40 minutes.
Ingredients for the Mixed Vegetable Sauce:
- 2 cups frozen vegetable mix
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- Vegetable or olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
Vegetable Sauce Cooking Instructions:
- Heat oil over a medium temperature. Add onions and quickly fry them for 5-6 minutes until they become soft and slightly translucent. Then add garlic, turmeric and cumin to sauté for additional 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and salt to taste, heat for 1 minute;
- Add frozen vegetable mix and stir for 8-10 minutes
- Optional – a pinch of black pepper
1 cup strained Greek yogurt, 1 clove garlic, 2 tablespoon of lime or lemon juice, salt. Mix together all ingredients in a bowl.
Use large serving plate and put a thin layer of the yogurt mixture. Place dumplings on top, adding more yogurt mixture. Coat everything with the vegetable sauce. You can use dried mint and cayenne pepper for garnish.